Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Doorway Information Center

Luckily classroom emergencies are few and far between.

Sure we have the occasional planned fire drill and bus evacuation practice, but a real emergency needs to be planned for.

Since we all exit through the main door of the classroom, I set up my important info station there.  

I simply created a "pocket" by attaching colorful paper and border to the wall by stapling around 3 of the 4 sides.  The blue folder you see sticking out contains my class list as well as all of the contact info for each of my students.  I have it facing in because the front has the students home phone numbers on it.

I also included a map for our fire escape route, staff list and a class list (these all stay on the wall).  Below it is the staff extension list.  Also, note that the phone has directions boldly printed for dialing 911 since an outside line must be obtained first.

If there is an emergency and we need to evacuate then I can grab the folder on the way out.  If there is an in-class emergency, I can dial 9-1-1 and have all of the important info at my fingertips (contact info, allergies, etc.)
Many classroom teachers also mount a hook in the doorway to hang the classroom key from so that it can also be "grabbed on the go."
setting up a classroom, classroom photographs, classroom emergency procedures


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I cannot believe that I JUST found your blog! I am in love! I am a beginning teacher and appreciate all the help you have provided in the last 10 minutes of my browsing. I was looking for some organization tips and love everything you have on your site. You've made me a permanent reader. :)

Clutter-Free Classroom said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for your sweet words. I'm glad you are enjoying the blog. Best of luck with your new school year!