Sunday, March 14, 2010

Daylight Savings


The time change messes with me.

I know that we "fall back" and "spring forward."  I know that the time difference is exactly one hour.  Still, I always struggle to wrap my head around the actuality of it.

I blame technology.

You see, many of our clocks automatically change themselves.  Our atomic alarm clock, computer, cable box, and cell phone all got the memo and responded accordingly.  Other things like the microwave, the kitchen clock, and the center console in my car are a bit slow on the uptake.  Therefore, it is different times in different rooms.  I constantly find myself calculating what time it is today vs what time it would have been if today were yesterday.

In theory, I LOVE today.  I love that it will stay light after dinner and we can resume our spring/summer walking rituals.  I love that people will be more chipper because darkness truly sucks the happy out of everyone.  Yet, I'm always thrown for a loop by the shift and usually take until Thursday to get acclimated with the new time.

Kids don't comprehend the fact that way back when farmers needed more light or something like that...I guess I don't comprehend it either.  Since I not only have my own children, but educate others, this effects me greatly.  My son will balk at going to bed before dark.  The twins will fall asleep an hour later, but my alarm clock will still go off at the same time.  Third grade eats lunch at 11:00 a.m. which is arguably brunch, but tomorrow we will eat at what used to be 10:00 a.m.!  Clearly that is breakfast.  I will need to eat two dinners to compensate.

The good news is that I'll get home from work an hour before I would have if we didn't change the clocks.  Yes, I know it's the same amount of working hours, but don't rain on my parade.  Speaking of rain...it's pouring.  As in, "build and ark and find a buddy" pouring.  Facebook is all a buzz with people posting about their flooded basements.  I won't be enjoying my extra hour of daylight tonight at dusk because it's looked like dusk since I woke up.

Off to synchronize watches.  Enjoy what's left of the weekend.

No comments: