Thursday, March 18, 2010

Bulletin Board Backgrounds: Thrifty Thursday


Today's Thrifty Thursday Tip is:
Using Sheets for Bulletin Board Backgrounds


The evolution of my bulletin boards:
I used to buy the rolls of "fadeless paper" from the local teacher store.  

They were expensive.

And despite their name, they faded.  Grrrr!

Then I used the school-supplied rolled paper.  It was free, but it was a pain to work with.

And it faded.

So I moved on to fabric.  I heart using fabric.  It offers great color selection, it bright and can be used over and over and over again.  It's also easy to hang and looks great.  

Initially, I would go to Joanns Fabric and buy it by the yard.  They do have great color selections so I do buy it there if I want something special.

But, for your typical boards that you just want black or red or blue or green or something like that I have an even cheaper option for you.  Twin bed sheets!

Walmart sells flat twin bed sheets in individual packages (meaning without pillowcases and fitted sheets) for a whopping $2.00.  There is more than enough fabric to cover the typical bulletin board and they have a surprising assortment of colors.  

I actually like using the black sheets as a background.  It allows the kiddo's work, borders and lettering to really POP!  

Plus, black is slimming.

I'm all for anything that is slimming.  

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Just stumbled upon your blog and I must say I love it!! Love your ideas ...esp the sheets for backround material! Keep up the wonderful blog, love it!