Monday, January 17, 2011

There's Something in it for You

My doorstep moments ago. There is nothing fun inside.

I have Billy Madison's voice running through my head, "Back to school...back to school...to show my dad that I'm no fool."

Gosh, I love me some Adam Sandler.

Why is this song running through my head? Not because a 3 day weekend is winding down. Not because the 3 day weekend coupled with two snow days meant that I've only worked 1 out of the past 5 days (but who's counting). The reason why it's popping up on my mental shuffle is because I am going back to school tomorrow.

Grad School that is.

How am I getting there you ask?

Why, I'll be riding the bitter bus to campus. On a scale of 1-10, my excitement level is currently at -5. Yep, that is negative 5. I'm just not feeling it.

Don't get me wrong. I totally hearted college the first time around. Heck, I even enjoyed my initial grad school work down in sunny Florida.

But, I was not employed.

Nor did I have 3 wee ones underfoot.

And I'm pretty sure nobody is going to be asking me to pledge their sorority or inviting me to a keg party tomorrow.

Drats.

I'm sure by now you're thinking "quit your whining" and "what's in it for me?" Followed by, "your title said there's something in it for me." Keep reading...

Well, with grad school come textbooks.

And they come at a cost.

And to add insult to injury there is sometimes a shipping charge too.

Sure, Amazon.com offers free super-saver shipping, but it is slow.

And I don't know about you, but I've got a bit of Veruca Salt in me and, "I want it now!" However, I'm also cheap and I don't want to pay for faster shipping.

So I don't. And you don't have to either with this handy dandy tip. Just sign up for the Amazon Mom's Club and you'll receive a free 3 month membership to Amazon Prime which gives you super fast and free shipping.

Amazon Prime is a membership program that gives you and your family unlimited fast shipping, such as FREE Two-Day shipping and One-day shipping for $3.99 per item on alleligible purchases for an annual membership fee of $79. Eligible customers can try out a membership by starting a free trial.

So there you go. A little tip on saving time and money for taking the time to read through my whining. I'll post the "Share the Love" links tomorrow along with the winner of the comment drawing. You can still win the Valentine Unit if you are in the gambling, love-spreading mood.

And now I need to brush up on my hackey sack skills and buy me a Trapper Keeper. I'm going to college tomorrow.

7 comments:

Finding Normal said...

Sign up for Amazon Student and get prime free for a year.
Signed,
Your fellow (bitter) grad student, who may have used Amazon for a lot of her Christmas shopping just because of the free, fast shipping. And can I also mention that Amazon's shipping didn't used to blow so much before this prime thingie was invented?

Raye said...

If you're a current student (undergrad or grad) with a applicable .edu email, you can get Amazon Prime for free for a year. :)

ChiTown Girl said...

Wow, good for you!

You're right, it's gonna be tough, but I know you can do it! I made it through grad school while being a single mom, and working 3 jobs. There, doesn't it seem easier now? ;-)

Sneaker Teacher said...

Amazon does the same for students except it's a YEAR long membership to amazon prime with a .edu email address! I HEART two day shipping and get all of my texts through amazon!

Plants seeds of knowledge...for our future! said...

Oh how I know the dreading to go back to school. I have half of my Masters Degree done because I did it when I did not have a job. It was still difficult juggling the kids. I only have half to go and I cannot motivate myself to get it done! I am hoping this summer I feel more compelled to take some classes and get the darn thing over with.
Good Luck to you on your new adventure! What are you going to be getting your degree in?

Mrs. G said...

Good News: Amazon prime is FREE for students for a year-and since you are a student....Hooray!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if your grad school gives you a .edu email address, but if it does you can sign up for Amazon student. It gives you Amazon prime shipping free for a year! Also a good deal. :-)