Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Must Do / May Do Board - classroom management series

This post is part of my Classroom Management Series. Click here to read other posts from the series.
I wish I could take credit for this. It has made my role so much easier. I first saw this in a co-workers classroom. She found it somewhere else. Regardless of where it came from, you NEED it!
The "must do / may do" board is exactly what the title says. It's a visual reminder of what tasks need to be accomplished and what can be done once they are. I created my board using electrical tape as a divider on my white board. This allows me to use dry erase markers to record the daily activities. I printed the subjects on cardstock, laminated them and hot glued magnets on the bag. This lets me move them around as space is needed.
After I complete a lesson and assign a task I write it on the must-do board. The children know to reference it when they need a reminder on what to do. After everything is complete they may select and activity from the "may-do" side of the board. I don't include activities that would encourage the children to rush through their assignments. My "may-dos" typically include things like: independent reading, free-choice writing, and math fact practice.
It's a great tool for keeping everyone on track with their assignments and eliminates the "I'm done...What Do I Do Next? Chorus."

managing a classroom classroom routines classroom procedures best practices classroom management ideas classroom management tips classroom management pictures classroom management strategies effective classroom management plan examples of classroom procedures elementary classroom procedures primary classroom procedures middle school classroom procedures kindergarten classroom procedures first grade classroom procedures sample classroom procedures manual harry wong first days of school rules routines daily classroom routines that really work children printable free freebie second grade third grade fourth grade fifth grade education behavior management clutter free classroom organized classroom tips for organizing a classroom unfinished work what to do with early finishers

No comments: